Saturday, February 6, 2010

What have schools come to today

I was watching the news last night, and there are so many things on there that piss me off. I don't even know why I watch it. The information can sometimes help my understanding on what is going on, however, I ask myself time and time again what are we coming to. I was watching the story about a girl named Phoebe who moved to Massachusetts from Ireland and committed suicide by hanging herself in her closet. She was a victim of bullying. She had girls texting, e-mailing her, as well as saying things and throwing things at her. There have been many cases like this such as Megan Meier who, in 2006, killed herself after her former friends mother actually made a fake profile to harass this girl. This week in Lewisville, Texas, a 9 year old boy hung himself in his elementary school. Another one in Massachusetts in the past year was an 11 year old boy who had hung himself with an extension cord after bullies called him gay time and time again. Seriously, what is going on with the children we are raising today? I remember going to school, which wasn't too long ago and never even worrying about that. It was starting then, I do remember how we had bullying policies, but never something like this. I am scared for my daughter to even send her to public school, what will it be like in 5 years. Parents need to start enforcing manners and teaching their children that this is not OK. I think people don't take this seriously and that's what pisses me off. Children, teenagers, even adults are committing suicide because they are being bullied. This has got to stop, our children are the future, and I want mine to survive.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. The state of our youth is abominable. I have three teenagers and have had to call parents to tell them to stop their children from harassing mine! There have been times when talking to another parent that I recieved a thorough cussing out, and then I knew exactly where their children got it from! I firmly believe the advent of social networks on the internet and Texting has opened up a whole new avenue for kids to mistreat one another. It used to be, way back in the day, that when you left school for the day, you left all the people behind that you didn't get along with. The only people you spoke to were the ones you called on the house phone, if your sister wasn't on it, or the kids on your block. Now your worst enemy has 24/7 access to you. It is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So True!! It is quite ridiculous! There is a little girl in my daughter's class that is her best friend one day then turns around and tells her she's ugly or she looks stupid. One time on the bus my daughter was punched in her stomach by another child which in return she defended herself...but they both had to go to the office for it because it took place on the bus. Needless to say this little girl in my daughter's class(also in the same daycare at the time) told all the kids at the daycare that kassidy got sent to the office. She was totally humiliated and busted out in tears when I went to pick her up. I had had enough and got down on my knees eye level with this child who is also six and tore into her. For months I had repeatly told kassidy to just stay away from her if she was not going to be nice but that was the last straw. It was my turn to defend my daughter because she was unable to get help through the daycare or on the bus when she told them what had happened. It is horrible to think about what the world is coming to and scares me to death knowing my baby is going to have to face it.

    ReplyDelete